Thursday 1 September 2016

The Importance of Doing What's Meaningful to You

When I first started teaching ACT as a peer tutor at my local NHS Recovery College I admit that I wasn't sure it was for me. I had only been working on values for a few weeks at that point but I had a sense that it was a direction I wanted to head in - I wanted to take ACT further and push a few of my boundaries, so I volunteered. Looking back, I'm so glad I did.

Today I have just returned from a planning meeting for the next term and I feel so positive and on the right track. This feeling helps confirm that I'm doing something that's really meaningful to me (though isn't guaranteed to turn up when you do something important to you, it's a nice bonus). It has been no easy ride and I've had to overcome many internal barriers to get where I am now, but I feel that I have greatly expanded my life space.

It is really important to do things that are meaningful to you - what that is can be deeply personal and very different from person to person. It doesn't have to be anything big, what's important is that it matters to you.

Have you taken a look at your values recently? Is there anything you could work on today to take you in a valued direction and help make your life more meaningful?


No comments:

Post a Comment