Sunday 8 January 2017

Reflection: Turning 30


With my 30th birthday fast approaching, I have taken time to reflect on how far I've come and how much I have changed over the years. Looking back, I am a little surprised to even be here, considering how often I would have thoughts such as; "this will be the last year of my life", "this is the year I will finally do 'it'", "there's no way I will survive another year", "I hope this is the last year" etc. I'm sure you get the idea. At the time I believed these thoughts; I believed that the mind had some kind of predictive power and I believed it could make me hurt myself regardless of what I wanted to do. It's upsetting looking back at that younger version of myself, getting back into contact with her pain. I spent a lot of time wishing and praying to be dead. I realise in retrospect that I was in a lot of danger for many years and needed help far sooner than I sought it or got it.

I doubt that teenage me would have been able to even imagine me here on the cusp of 30, having come out of the other side of that dark cloud I was in, pleased with the way my life is heading and with hopes and dreams for the future. I think that 26 year old me would have struggled to see this future too. The turning point really has been when I first learned ACT; though it didn't transform me instantly, over the last 3 years it has helped me move from almost constant depression to a mostly normal life with occasional low patches.

So here's to my journey; it was tough, but worth it and I hope to continue building a rich and fulfilling life for many more years.

2 comments:

  1. Really lovely article Holly, it feels very truthful and authentic. You're right, there is no magic bullet with mental health and a lot of it is remembering to practise the tools and techniques that work for you. I really enjoy your blog, and obviously I'm glad you've come so far, please do keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write them Celia. It's wonderful to hear that you read and enjoy my blog. Sometimes self doubt creeps in and holds me back, so in those moments I will remember your comment and keep going. Best wishes to you.

      Delete